Regarding the NEW queue (Was: Re: NEW queue backing up again -- ftpmasters, any explanation or comment?)

On Mon, Mar 13, 2006 at 01:39:04AM +0100, Steinar H. Gunderson wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 12, 2006 at 06:53:08PM -0500, Nathanael Nerode wrote:
> > It looks approximately as though nothing has been examined since a month ago.
>
> Perhaps the ftpmasters are busy with the mirror split?

Different people working on NEW vs mirror split.

On Mon, Mar 13, 2006 at 07:52:07AM +0100, Petter Reinholdtsen wrote:
> [Steinar H. Gunderson]
> > Perhaps the ftpmasters are busy with the mirror split?
>
> Could be, but I believe I heard that most NEW processing is done by
> one of the assistants while the mirror split is done by someone else.
> I guess that one person got busy or demotivated.  I suspect NEW
> processing in Debian is work for more than one person over time, and
> that more people should be involved.

More people *are* involved, it's just that I haven't done much NEW until
yesterday because Joerg was doing a good job and keeping up with it,
that I preferred spending my time elsewhere, where there was more need.
I'm now helping out some more with NEW.

On Mon, Mar 13, 2006 at 10:38:38AM +0100, martin f krafft wrote:
> The mirror split is a complicated endeavour. From what I understood,
> the NEW queue was put on hold on purpose until the split is
> complete.

That's not true.

On Mon, Mar 13, 2006 at 08:57:10AM +0100, Thijs Kinkhorst wrote:
> On Mon, March 13, 2006 01:39, Steinar H. Gunderson wrote:
> > Perhaps the ftpmasters are busy with the mirror split?
>
> I don't think it's useful to second-guess what they're doing, so my
> question to Nathanael: when did you post this question to them directly
> and what was their answer?

Nobody mailed ftpmaster@ about the size of the NEW queue. -devel isn't
a contact address for ftp-master, at least speaking for myself,
mailinglists have a much lower priority than things like ftpmaster mail,
and when backlogged with mail, I tend to skip parts too, if it's too
high-traffic at times.

On Mon, Mar 13, 2006 at 10:47:32AM +0100, Ondrej Sury wrote:
> I posted question about mozilla-thunderbird-locale-cs to
> ftpmaster@debian.org:
>
> On Fri, 2005-12-30 at 12:28 +0100, Ondrej Sury wrote:
> > [...]
>
> No reply so far.

I saw your mail, but didn't reply as I wasn't normally doing NEW. I see
nobody replied to it, for which I apologize. I'm not aware of anything
wrong with it, but will take a look when ftp-master is reachable again
(there seem to be routing issues today).

On Mon, Mar 13, 2006 at 12:20:38PM +0200, Lars Wirzenius wrote:
> ma, 2006-03-13 kello 08:57 +0100, Thijs Kinkhorst kirjoitti:
> > I don't think it's useful to second-guess what they're doing, so my
> > question to Nathanael: when did you post this question to them directly
> > and what was their answer?
>
> Is there a reason why the question should be made in private?

It seems as if only problems and annoyances end up on mailinglists, and
*not* to ftpmaster@. The don't specifically need to be made private, but
I don't think it'd be too much to ask for questions to ftpmaster to be
mailed to the our published contact address? How would you feel if
people complained about lacking piuparts updates on -devel, stating it's
unaccepteable and the maintainer should've been recruiting a
co-maintainer, without that person ever having contacted you?

That's, roughly, what happens with ftp-master often. We do our best to
answer all inquiries, but are not perfect. However, of those issues
coming to some mailinglist, more often than not there's not even an
attempt to mail ftp-master first, or at all. It's a kind of
self-reenforcing loop if people don't think mailing helps, but then not
even try, and mail -devel instead, making people think even more that
mailing ftpmaster@ is futile.

> I do think N.N. formulated the question in a needlessly accusatory tone,
> but I don't think -devel was the wrong place. Transparency and openness
> are good for the project.

I agree transparency and openness are good things. I just disagree with
the implication that mailing -devel _instead_ of ftpmaster@ is a
good way to address an issue with ftpmaster.

If you have an issue, or a question, ask (to ftpmaster@). If you don't
get a response within 2 weeks or so, mail again. Feel free to inquire
with myself (jvw) on IRC too.

On Mon, Mar 13, 2006 at 12:27:36PM +0100, Thijs Kinkhorst wrote:
> I'm surpassed by reality, since we now know that the FTP-masters didn't
> bother to answer Ondrej's mail... you're probably right that it wouldn't
> have made a difference.

That's quite leaping to conclusion. Ondrej's mail was inquiring about
one specific package, not inquiring about the NEW backlog. There have
been numerous mails since inquiring about specific packages, which did
get a reply. This one apparantly just slipped.

--Jeroen

--
Jeroen van Wolffelaar
http://Jeroen.A-Eskwadraat.nl