Re: NEW queue backing up again -- ftpmasters, any explanation or comment?

Hi Simon,
On Tue, Mar 14, 2006 at 02:48:18PM +0100, Simon Richter wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Kevin Mark wrote:
>
> >If someone differentiated
> >it into a simple triaged state: unseen, seem and expect to process soon
> >and seen and requires more processing, it may alleviate some anxiety --
> >or maybe not.
>
> Hm, I am wondering how the internal communication between the ftpmasters
> works (i.e. "I am checking this package now", or "Functionality check
> complete, needs license check"), and if that is sufficiently formalized
> such that a "current status" column in the summary page could be
> generated easily from that.
>
> I would suspect there to be some standardized, if not formalized,
> workflow that can be applied to 95% of all packages at least.

only a small percentage of packages stay in the new queue for a long
time (like stuff that is in the marillat repo). that would leave the
rest, as you say are the 95% that are only sojourning there for some
short stay. That would mean that 5% of them are in the 'checked, need
further processing' catagory which would need a note specificy what need
to be checked. then the <10% that are added on a montly basis as new and the
85% which would require 'basic processing'. If any of these are done, it
just help communication between ftpmaster and devs.

> >But your idea sparked a differnet idea: What if you make a tiny
> >repository of currently available unstable debian package based upon
> >dependencies AND the unofficial package in the new queue that would be
> >used to allow people to experiment with these package in a way like an
> >unoffical experimental branch.
>
> The main reason for the NEW queue is the US export legislation. If it
> were legal to make packages immediately downloadable, it would be done.
huh? the packages have an upsteam which must be accessible as per
policy, so I guess they are open to legal issue as well. And there have
been, iirc, packages in debian that were removed becuase of issues
witout legal incident (thankfully) once it was determined.

> >This would not stop the packages in the
> >new queue from being examined but would allow experimenatal users to
> >test your work and give you feedback before the processing is done.
>
> Sure, that's why I also upload my packages to my people.d.o page when I
> upload to Debian. But then I am responsible for following the US law,
> given that people.d.o is located in the US AFAIK, not the ftpmasters.
is there a host that would allow this? maybe set it up with marillat or
?
<no-flamewars-it-just-a-question>how does ubuntu do it, as they support
non-free stuff?</>
and, so is it normall to but possibly, buggy, but not-us-export-problem
packages in new also in p.d.o/~USER?
cheers,
Kev
- --