Re: Need for launchpad

On Mon, Jan 16, 2006 at 06:44:42PM -0500, Joey Hess wrote:
> It's amazing how the Debian project manages to communicate fixes to
> an even more diverse set of upstream authors, isn't it.

I would be interested to know how you've measured this, because it sounds
hard.  It's only because Ubuntu publishes an archive of its patches that
it's possible to estimate how much of it propagates back into Debian, and
even so it isn't easy to get an accurate estimate.

The ratio of Debian developers to upstream developers is *much* closer to
1:1 than the ratio of Ubuntu developers to Debian developers, but even so,
my guess (based on at least some empirical observation of packages I'm
familiar with) is that many of the same issues exist.  In some cases, there
is a healthy and responsive relationship, and in others, there isn't.

--
 - mdz