Re: Better communication between projects

On 1/15/06, Roger Leigh <rleigh@whinlatter.ukfsn.org> wrote:
> Completely agreed.  While I don't object to occasional mails from
> Ubuntu users, I don't generally have a proper Ubuntu contact (or list)
> to point them to.  This would help a lot there, as well as preventing
> the problem in the first place.

Please tell them to use ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com for general
support questions. The developers of the 'main' component can be
reached at ubuntu-devel@lists.ubuntu.com, for 'universe' packages the
developers can be reached at ubuntu-motu@lists.ubuntu.com.

> Another related problem I noticed the other day is that the Ubuntu
> change history is lost when merging new packages from Debian unstable,
> which makes it next to impossible for me to find out who last changed
> it on the Ubuntu side.  This is because any changes to the Ubuntu
> changelog are discarded, rather than being merged back into the Debian
> changelog (though I can appreciate this is not an easy problem to
> solve in an automated fashion).
This is right. We are in general happy if we can reduce divergence,
and from time to time, ubuntu developers find that a introduced
divergence has become or is unneeded. In that case, we request syncing
over the new debian source package, overriding all ubuntu changes,
including the changelog for practical reasons.

So the best chance to see who uploaded a package and why seems to me
to be the maillinglist 'dapper-changes@lists.ubuntu.com' which works
similar to 'debian-devel-changes@lists.debian.org'.

I hope this mail was not too annoying for debian-devel.

--
regards,
    Reinhard