Re: Canonical's business model

David Nusinow <david_nusinow@verizon.net> wrote:

> The greatest strength of having Canonical on our side, from my POV, is that
> it's a company full of people like Daniel, who are fundamentally Debian
> people, and who are willing to work with you on this kind of personal
> level. I don't really buy in to their whole "giving back to Debian" thing
> (because they didn't really "give back" xorg, I had to take it after they
> made it for themselves) but they do present a great opportunity for us to
> establish these kinds of working relationships.

It seems to me that there's one particular point where they actively
give back, and that is: security.  I've seen loads of security patches
created by Martin Pitt, applied to Ubuntu *and* submitted as bugs to our
BTS.

I can't say that I've already built up a working relationship with
Martin, but I've communicated very well with him.  However, I believe
that the reason might not only be Martin's commitment to "give back" to
Debian, but rather the completely egoistic desire not to be forced to
maintain a bunch of security patches that are not in Debian.

Be the reason whatever it is, I think that we have profited from it, and
personally I thank Martin very much!

Regards, Frank
--
Frank Küster