Re: Canonical's business model

On 1/11/06, Jan Nieuwenhuizen <janneke@gnu.org> wrote:
> Thomas Bushnell writes:
>
> > No, I think it's because Ubuntu doesn't cooperate well with Debian,
> > while pretending to cooperate.
>
> Does Debian want to cooperate with Ubuntu, and how well does Debian
> do?  What steps could Ubuntu and Debian reasonably take to improve
> cooperation?

Debian is cooperating with Ubuntu as it's cooperating with each Custom
Debian Distribution (no, Ubuntu isn't one). I don't think that Ubuntu
is unsatisfied with Debian volunteers, e.g: d-i merging base-config
package stuff[0], Ubuntu will benefit of this in April (Dapper
release), we will just see the impact late this year after releasing
Etch and the CDDs that are building based on our stable release, right
after.

Ubuntu runs a tool to merge Debian changes into its "unstable"
archive, and it's (almost) smart enough to not override Ubuntu changes
when necessary. Is that tool available to Debian (utnubu[1] to be
specific) do the same in a not automatic way but generate a report ?
No and i don't think that we asked for that tool, utnubu is running
with its own resources.

Please note that i'm not saying that there's one side right and other
wrong, i just reported the current status.

[0] = http://lists.debian.org/debian-boot/2006/01/msg00118.html
[1] = http://alioth.debian.org/projects/utnubu/

--
Gustavo Franco