Re: Need for launchpad

On Sun, Jan 08, 2006 at 11:30:20AM -0600, Manoj Srivastava wrote:
> ,----[ https://wiki.launchpad.canonical.com/HCT ]
> | 1.13. Will the source package import code be open source?
> |
> | Not at this time.
> `----
>
>         Hmm. Not a strong commitment to the open source philosophy or
>  anything like our social contract. So, can one trust any company like
>  this to retain the service as librè service in the long run? Or only
>  until enough people are hooked in?

Can anybody actually think of a reason why they might want to keep any
of this code proprietary, other than grabbing power? I can't see *any*
way in which this could possibly be anything else. The only reason I
can think of is to be able to use launchpad to control people, for
whatever reason.

That would be pretty much the antithesis to us. It's everything we've
been opposed to all these years.

 : :' :  http://www.debian.org/ |