Re: Need for launchpad

On Tue, Jan 10, 2006 at 12:32:32AM +0100, Federico Di Gregorio wrote:
> Il giorno lun, 09/01/2006 alle 15.09 -0800, Matt Zimmerman ha scritto:
>
> > The reality of the situation is much less controversial.  If a Debian
> > maintainer finds it useful to manage their translations in Rosetta, then
> > they can do that today, as a matter of individual choice.  If they or a
> > future maintainer of the same package prefers to manage the translations by
> > hand, they can do that, and never touch Rosetta.  Launchpad is a collection
> > of tools intended to promote more efficient collaboration on the development
> > of free software, and if it is to succeed, it will be because individuals
> > choose to use it, not because any organization requires that they do so.
>
> What really I don't understand is how a proprietary tool can promote
> more efficient collaboration on the development of _free software_.
> Sounds like an ossimoron to me.

Why?  There are countless examples, past and present.  Proprietary
development tools, virtualization tools, even entire operating systems have
all been used to accelerate the pace of free software development, both
directly and indirectly.  While some free software developers adopt a
philosophy of avoiding the use of proprietary software where possible, that
is a matter of personal preference, and different developers adopt different
strategies.  This is not only understandable, but possible and indeed
commonplace.

--
 - mdz