Re: Need for launchpad

Hi Stephan,

On Sun, Jan 08, 2006 at 11:25:28AM +0100, Stephan Hermann wrote:
> Hehe...well, it's a matter of working behaviour. I never said, that working
> from the CLI is not faster or more productive sometimes. What I'm trying to
> say is, that this "arrogant elite thinking" must go away. We have to focus on
> what we all want, that is bring good software to the world. For that, we have
> to find a simple and usable solution, that everyone can work with. Not only
> the so called elite, or actually those people who think they are.

Funny, I thought the goal is that our users can work with our product.
You seem to suggest that we should make it as easy to change it.

> If we are not thinking about the people, who can't handle the console, or are
> not able to fullfill simple tasks with the cli, for those people we need at
> least another way. If Debian never followed this example, well I think there
> wouldn't be a webinterface for Debian BTS at all and all the informations of
> debian on the webpage, we would find in gopher or txt files which i have to
> search with archie.

The web interface is there to make it easier to find something in the
BTS. The difference is that it our (free) code and we can rely on it
being available. If we move development to launchpad we don't have a
guarantee that it won't go away some day.

OTOH I'd like to have Debian move to using a single SCM and storing all
packages in repositories. Currently you need to know Subversion, CVS and
tla if you want to be sure you can directly work with the Debian
sources. Our tools could also be better integrated. Source packages use
umpteen different patch systems etc. which should be done away with.

It would be nice to change this but I don't have the time and motivation
to even try it. Perhaps you do?

Greetings

	Torsten