Re: Need for launchpad

On Sun, Jan 08, 2006 at 09:02:09AM +0100, Stephan Hermann wrote:
> On Sunday 08 January 2006 07:27, Andrew Suffield wrote:
> > On Fri, Jan 06, 2006 at 03:19:42PM -0500, Frans Jessop wrote:
> > > Ubuntu's launchpad is amazing.  Do you think it would be helpful if all
> > > DD's worked through it on their projects?  Wouldn't that keep things more
> > > organized and efficient?  Or perhaps Debian could build its own version
> > > of launchpad which is better.  Again, I think it would do a good job
> > > keeping everything organized an efficient.
> >
> > The day when working on Debian requires the use of a web interface
> > will be the day that I hunt down and painfully kill the person
> > responsible for doing it.
>
> Luckily that the bts of Launchpad has a mailinterface..which is quite nice.
> So some other parts will have mailinterfaces as well, and some other goodies
> where someone can attach some nice cli tools.

Which nobody except the Blessed Few (being those who have signed the NDA
allowing them access to the Launchpad code) can modify or enhance.

> > Removing the ability to manage things from the shell would not be more
> > organised and efficient unless you're a complete fricking moron who
> > can't operate a unix host. Which appears to be the target audience of
> > launchpad.
>
> Well, I'm happy to see, that a lot of people are not thinking like you. They
> see launchpad as a collaborative worktool.

Your comment doesn't follow from what Andrew said.

> But why should I tell that to a unix-guru, who can't even read the code of
> conduct of the mailinglist of the distribution he is working for.

People in glass houses, and all that.  Last time I got a serve from someone
on an Ubuntu channel, I raised the issue of the Code of Conduct and got told
"so what?".

> Finally, are you not able to use lynx?

I know your smarter than that.  Pressing the down-arrow 50 times to reach an
action button takes a lot longer than typing a quick command to invoke that
same action, and we both know it.  Please don't throw bogus solutions around
like that, it only encourages him.

> But give them a choice, because linux/unix is choice.

*cough*NDA*cough*.

- Matt