Re: How to Increase Contributions from Volunteers

On Mon, 02 Jan 2006 16:06:59 +0100, Frans Pop wrote
> On Monday 02 January 2006 15:42, Andreas Schuldei wrote:
> > so should we try to compile such a list and advertise it better,
> > perhaps from the startpage on www.debian.org?
>
> http://www.debian.org/devel/join/ seems more suited for that.
>
> That whole page could maybe be organized a bit better by separating
> the content into sections.

Sorry for jumping in, but if you want more Contributions, show the Volunteers
how to do things.

Linux has thousands on Volunteers and lots of people could do a lot more
things, fact is that people are not teached on how to get started. I don't
know how to.

I could support or maintain some packages if I could be teached once, and if
the mentoring process to get ownership of one package wouldn't be a pain. I
once wanted to make a package for the ieee80211 stack or another small
package, but NO. I had to know someone, that the someone had a developer
friend that would actually trust me, to ever be able to try posting something.

1. It's too much of a pain, yes you are making it really complicated.
2. People could be teached on how to do or make new versions of packages or
things like that.
3. I say, leave the easy packages for newbie debian helpers and let the
difficult ones for the old-timers on Debian.

I would love to help, but the fact is that people that know how to do these
things like they know the palm of their hands, don't share information or
actually show people how to do things. I don't even know what is the whole
deal that is done when people move from gnome2.10 to gnome2.12. (I know is not
only packaging and uploading)

.Alejandro