Re: How to Increase Contributions from Volunteers

On Mon, 2 Jan 2006 09:21:43 -0600, Alejandro Bonilla <abonilla@linuxwireless.org> said:

> On Mon, 02 Jan 2006 16:06:59 +0100, Frans Pop wrote
>> On Monday 02 January 2006 15:42, Andreas Schuldei wrote:
>> > so should we try to compile such a list and advertise it better,
>> > perhaps from the startpage on www.debian.org?
>>
>> http://www.debian.org/devel/join/ seems more suited for that.
>>
>> That whole page could maybe be organized a bit better by separating
>> the content into sections.

> Sorry for jumping in, but if you want more Contributions, show the
> Volunteers how to do things.

> Linux has thousands on Volunteers and lots of people could do a lot
> more things, fact is that people are not teached on how to get
> started. I don't know how to.

        Have you ever considered that the project may want to select
 for people who can help themselves?  Who are self motivated, and have
 at least enough experience to be able to browse www.debian.org,
 notice that there is a "Help Debian" link? That we need quality far
 more than we need quantity?

        As that link points out (and as anyone can see from the front
 page) There also a "Developers corner" link, and the help debian page
 also tells you that you can ask debian-mentors mailing list?

        I am not sure how much help anyone can be, if the can't even
 get to this information.

> I could support or maintain some packages if I could be teached
> once, and if the mentoring process to get ownership of one package
> wouldn't be a pain. I once wanted to make a package for the
> ieee80211 stack or another small package, but NO. I had to know
> someone, that the someone had a developer friend that would actually
> trust me, to ever be able to try posting something.

        Err, this happens not to be the truth. Anyone can make
 packages for themselves, and distribute them, by following links on
 the "Help Debian" page or the "Developers Corner" page. Getting it
 into Debian takes more effort, and one has to meet the QA
 requirements, but this latter bit is something we should not change,
 really.

        manoj
--
Why is it that when you DIE, you can't take your HOME ENTERTAINMENT
CENTER with you??