Re: Debian and the desktop

On Wed, Dec 14, 2005 at 07:02:03PM +0100, Thomas Viehmann wrote:
> Bill Allombert wrote:
> >> ... generic menu entries ... SuSE ...
>
> > What is needed at this point is a draft policy defining what will be
> > the new layout and what will be the generic titles.
>
> KDE seems to use the GenericName .desktop entry.
> Probably a good starting point would be to cannibalize these, maybe?
> Are there technical issues, too, or is it just the naming?

There are no technical issues:

1) Make a list of all valid genericname and add it to menu-section.pot
and translate it.

2) Change the menu entries to include a genericname field that is in
the list.

3) Change the menu-method to display the genericname. One global way
to do this is to change the function title() in
/etc/menu-methods/menu.h to
ifelse($genericname,$genericname "(" $title ")", $title).
but this can be done in a per-menu-method basis or debconfiscated, etc.

4) Change menu-xdg menu-method to generate multilingual .desktop
files as we do already for the .directory files

You have made 0 code changes to menu but now you have a fully i18n
genericname support in all the window managers!

Not that menu officially support longtitle but this is not an overly
popuar feature.

However I don't have time to do that myself, but certainly I have no
objection.

But there are another way: KDE and GNOME provide a non-Debian menu.
However there are no clear definition about what should go in this menu.
Maybe the policy could be to only put in this menu the applications
relevant to "Bob User" and keep the Debian menu to "Bob Hacker". This
might be a simpler way to get the same results.

Cheers,
--
Bill. <ballombe@debian.org>

Imagine a large red swirl here.