Re: Bits from the release team: the plans for etch

su, 2005-10-30 kello 10:37 +0100, Marc Haber kirjoitti:
> On Sun, 30 Oct 2005 10:58:23 +1100, Brian May <bam@debian.org> wrote:
> >That is my point - adduser will print a warning if the user already
> >exists.
> >
> >So you need to check to make sure the user doesn't exist first, before
> >attempting to add it. Or you get a stupid warning appearing when
> >upgrading packages.
>
> If you feel disturbed by the warning, redirect addusers output to
> /dev/null. It is specially tailored to not kill the package install if
> the user already exists.

This means that all other error messages will go to /dev/null as well.
adduser can fail for other reasons and it is not acceptable to make it
harder to debug for the sysadmin. I've stumbled upon several packages
doing that, and filed bugs on them, when testing things with piuparts,
which happened to create a chroot that was valid, but caused chage, and
therefore adduser, to fail. Packages that hid adduser's error messages
were much more annoying to deal with than those that let chage's error
message be visible.

I don't know perl, so I can't create a patch, sorry, but at a guess
changing the dief call around 693 to something that doesn't print out an
error message if --quiet has been given would seem to do the trick.

--
I sometimes mistake arrogance for intelligence.