Re: Bits from the release team: the plans for etch

On Sun, Oct 23, 2005 at 11:32:45PM -0700, Steve Langasek wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 24, 2005 at 08:13:12AM +0200, Marc Haber wrote:
> > If so, we need an adduser interface which properly handles LDAP and
> > NIS. This is something that our current adduser does not do, and the
> > corresponding bugs are open for many years.

I guess you mean  #110516, #143432, #294579 and (maybe) #61210 and #134473.
Right?

> That doesn't really follow; the principle need for the adduser tool in such
> environments is adduser --system, which one typically wants to have
> operating on the local passwd database and *not* on LDAP or NIS directories.

Correct, as described at http://www.debian.org/doc/debian-policy/ch-opersys.html#s9.2
I opened up #291177 a while back, and asked for someone to write code others
could reuse when doing that (that code could later on become a 'dh_user'
debhelper tool). I ended up doing that this weekend:
http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/developers-reference/ch-best-pkging-practices.en.html#s-bpp-lower-privs

If someone (Marc?) wants to review the sample code and enhance it to cover
NIS/LDAP maybe then it could serve as a sample both for packages that need to
create dynamic users in the future and to ask maintainers of packages doing
that to replace their code with the one above.

Regards

Javier