Re: Bits from the release team: the plans for etch

On Sun, Oct 23, 2005 at 11:32:45PM -0700, Steve Langasek wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 24, 2005 at 08:13:12AM +0200, Marc Haber wrote:
> > If so, we need an adduser interface which properly handles LDAP and
> > NIS. This is something that our current adduser does not do, and the
> > corresponding bugs are open for many years.

I guess you mean  #110516, #143432, #294579 and (maybe) #61210 and #134473.

> That doesn't really follow; the principle need for the adduser tool in such
> environments is adduser --system, which one typically wants to have
> operating on the local passwd database and *not* on LDAP or NIS directories.

Correct, as described at http://www.debian.org/doc/debian-policy/ch-opersys.html#s9.2
I opened up #291177 a while back, and asked for someone to write code others
could reuse when doing that (that code could later on become a 'dh_user'
debhelper tool). I ended up doing that this weekend:

If someone (Marc?) wants to review the sample code and enhance it to cover
NIS/LDAP maybe then it could serve as a sample both for packages that need to
create dynamic users in the future and to ask maintainers of packages doing
that to replace their code with the one above.