Re: Canonical and Debian

* "Michael K. Edwards"

| So either Debian collectively is
| willing to labor to maintain a high standard of portability and
| stability, or we need to focus on a few arches and ignore
| bugs-in-principle that don't happen to break on those systems.

At the same time, if we're releasing i386, powerpc and amd64 we have a
fair bit of spread: We have both little- and big-endian, we have 32
bit and 64 bit and we have signed and unsigned char and we have
linuxthreads and pure NPTL threading libraries.

This doesn't uncover all possible build and runtime problems, but it's
a good start to having portable code.

                                                                      `. `'
                                                                        `-