Re: Example where testing-security was used?

On Tue, May 31, 2005 at 02:01:48PM +0200, Adrian Bunk wrote:
> On Tue, May 31, 2005 at 04:56:52AM -0700, Steve Langasek wrote:

> > > 17 -> 22 architectures is an increase, but doesn't look like a very
> > > serious one.

> > There were never security autobuilders for potato; and security and
> > proposed-updates are separate queues.  So in terms of centralized load on
> > the wanna-build server, this is a jump from 22 (11 stable-security + 11
> > proposed-updates) to 33 (11 oldstable-security + 11 stable-security + 11
> > proposed-updates; AFAIK there is no oldstable-proposed-updates).

> > If testing-security is brought on-line again for etch within the year
> > following sarge's release (as I certainly hope it will), the peak number of
> > wanna-build *databases* being served by ftp-master.d.o (saying nothing of
> > the number of actual buildd connections) would be 66 (oldstable-security +
> > stable-security + proposed-updates + testing-proposed-updates +
> > testing-security + unstable, x 11 archs -- not counting prospective archs).
> > So at 44 the server was already at its limit, the release required a 25%
> > increase in the number of databases (and roughly the same increase in the
> > number of connections), and etch would have brought us up to 50% over that
> > limit.

> I'm glad to hear that you do no longer plan to drop architectures from
> etch.  :-)

I no longer have any illusions that we'll be able to persuade the project
that this is in Debian's best interest, or that we'll find an alternate
solution that's acceptable to the porters of the architectures in question.

In any case, given the number of prospective ports waiting in the wings, 11
is probably a roughly correct estimate even if we *do* drop some
architectures.  (And since non-release ports are likely to stay in unstable,
and adding a release port adds three w-b databases where dropping one only
removes two w-b databases, it takes 1 1/2 dropped archs to balance one added
arch...)

--
Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer