Re: Example where testing-security was used?

On Sun, May 22, 2005 at 08:10:35PM -0700, Steve Langasek wrote:
> On Sun, May 22, 2005 at 12:46:09AM +0200, Adrian Bunk wrote:
> > As far as I understood it, the missing infrastructure for
> > testing-security was the reason why the release of sarge was delayed by
> > more than half a year.
>
> > As far as I have seen, it seems most security updates go either through
> > unstable or through testing-proposed-updates.
>
> > Can anyone point me to an example where testing-security has actually
> > been used?
>
> At present, unfortunately not.
>
> This does not obviate the need for testing-security to be brought on-line
> and tested prior to the freeze; the woody release was delayed for about a
> month because of the lack of usable autobuilder infrastructure for security
> updates, and if we had tried to freeze sarge before the same infrastructure
> was available, we would have had the same problem again (except compounded
> with others this time, like ftp-master not scaling to handle the added
> load).

That you need autobuilders for sarge security update once sarge ist
released is obvious.

But setting up autobuilders doesn't require a new infrastructure
(and shouldn't require more than half a year).
Wasn't the infrastructure a prerequisite for woody and is working?

I understand that the testing security infrastructure is a solution, but
I still don't understand the probelm it was required to solve for.

> Steve Langasek

cu
Adrian

       "Only a promise," Lao Er said.