Re: RES: /usr/lib vs /usr/libexec

On Wed, May 18, 2005 at 10:02:30AM -0500, Peter Samuelson wrote:
> I should mention that I'm still waiting for your benchmark
> results on how a drastic reduction in /usr/lib size speeds up the
> runtime linker.  On *any* filesystem, O(n)-lookups or not.
>
> (In case you missed it, I explained how to do this benchmark back in
> http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2005/05/msg00648.html .)

I'll throw in that I tried briefly to concoct a meaningful benchmark
and was unable to get the run-time or build-time linkers to spend
appreciable amounts of time opening files. I got bored when /usr/lib
got up to 50k files and gave up, concluding that people were being
pointlessly whiny about nothing.

Even for tiny, trivial binaries, the linkers spend all their time
linking and no easily measurable time doing anything else.

 : :' :  http://www.debian.org/ |