Re: RES: /usr/lib vs /usr/libexec

[Thomas Bushnell BSG]
> Um:
>
> /bin/mount foo:whatever /bin

That's a huge administrative hassle.  Not only do you have to figure
out what programs and libraries /bin/mount depends on so you can make
sure they're on your real root partition, but the packaging system
doesn't - and shouldn't - do anything to help you keep the two copies
of /bin in sync.

You would put up with all *that* for a 6-megabyte savings on your root
filesystem?

This is another absurdity brought to us all by the Committee for
Considering Theoretical Angles Without Bothering to Look at Real
Numbers.  I should mention that I'm still waiting for your benchmark
results on how a drastic reduction in /usr/lib size speeds up the
runtime linker.  On *any* filesystem, O(n)-lookups or not.

(In case you missed it, I explained how to do this benchmark back in
http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2005/05/msg00648.html .)

Peter