Re: RES: /usr/lib vs /usr/libexec

    Thomas> We've been told that /usr is necessary to allow network
    Thomas> sharing.  Of course, you can network share any directory,
    Thomas> not just /usr.  If you want executables to be shared, then
    Thomas> share /bin.  It's not a problem.  I've done it.

If you want to share /bin, how do you run /bin/mount in order to mount
/bin?

Presumably you would also want to do share /sbin and /lib, too. That
makes the issue more complex. /sbin/init is the first process that
boots (under most setups), and most programs use shared libraries from
/lib.

Yes, you could do this from initrd/initramfs, but this also becomes
harder to setup and debug.

I am not familiar with a tool that will generate such images (that
doesn't mean they don't exist).

AFAIK module dependency information is *still* stored under
/lib/modules/$version/, and updated on each boot. If you make a shared
version of this writable by each client, you risk (I assume) race
conditions on booting multiple clients at the same time. If you make
it read-only, you have to be sure it is kept accurate via some other
means.

You could argue based on this, /lib isn't designed to be shared, so
you still need to split it into /usr/lib and /lib. Alternatively you
could argue only /lib/modules isn't sharable, I guess.
--
Brian May <bam@debian.org>