Re: How to join a team

On Wed, Mar 16, 2005 at 09:52:35AM -0800, Thomas Bushnell BSG wrote:
> 3) Only some people can install the patches.
[...]
> (3) raises the question: who chooses who can install the patches directly
> and who cannot?

The people who run the show, just like any Free Software project.  You earn
the trust of the people who are "in charge", over time, by providing good
help, and then eventually you become one of the people in charge.

That might actually be a point of dysfunction in Debian -- we're trying to
merge two separate models of cooperation.  On the one hand, package
maintenance is, at the end of the day, a free-for-all -- any DD has the
authority to upload any package to the archive (social strictures
notwithstanding), but a lot of the "other" stuff is modelled on a more
cathedralic (not a word, I hope) development model.  That might go some way
to explaining why a lot of DDs get *so* upset by less-than-speedy resolution
of their problems in other areas, because we're so used to being able to
freely wheel-and-deal with packages.

- Matt