Joey Hess <joeyh@debian.org> writes:

> Colin, Steve, and I became release assistants when AJ posted a mail to
> -devel asking "who wants to be a release assistant" and then gave us a
> set of grunt-work tasks of increasing difficulty to do until he judged
> we basically knew what we were doing.

That's an excellent strategy, and it matches my memory of the
history.  So that answers one question of fifty; the remainder are as
follows.

Now one major question is: are these chosen by self-perpetuating work,
or are they chosen by the DPL, or by someone else?  Does the DPL have
the power (where the Constitution doesn't say otherwise) to appoint
additional people to perform these tasks (even over the objection of
the incumbents) or remove people from them?

Thomas

Officers:
  DPL:                  Ably described by the Constitution
  Technical Committee:  Ably described by the Constitution
  Secretary:            Ably described by the Constitution

Distribution
  ftpmaster:            Can just anyone join?
  release-manager:      Ably described by Joey Hess.
  release-assistants:   Ably described by Joey Hess.
  QA:                   Ably described on qa.debian.org
  CD-images:            Can just anyone join?
  Documentation:        Can just anyone join?
  APT "team":           Can just anyone join?
  Ports:                I assume each is its own beastie.

Publicity:
  Press Contact:        Chosen how?
  Partner Program:      Chosen how?

Support:
  BTS:                  Can just anyone join?
  Mailing lists:        Can just anyone join?
  NM Front Desk:        Can just anyone join?
  DAM:                  Ably described by the Constitution
  Security:             Self-appointed (www.debian.org/security/faq)
  Security Audit:       Ably described by www.debian.org/security/audit/faq
  Web pages:            Can just anyone join?
  Consultants Page:     Can just anyone join?
  Policy:               Can just anyone join?
  System Admin:         Can just anyone join?
  LDAP Admin:           Chosen how?
  Mirrors:              Can just anyone join?
  DNS:                  Chosen how?
  PTS:                  Can just anyone join?
  Key-signing:          Can just anyone join?
  Hardware donation;    Can just anyone join?
  Accountant:           Chosen how?