Re: Let's remove mips, mipsel, s390, ... (Was: [Fwd: Re: GTK+2.0 2.6.2-3 and buildds running out of space])

[Henrique de Moraes Holschuh]
> Not from what I know of dist-cc.  You just need dist-cc, and nothing
> else.  dist-cc just offloads the number-crunching, so it uses no data
> from the non-master node.  AFAIK anyway (which is NOT much on dist-cc
> matters).

Right.  distcc runs the C preprocessor on the master and just sends
preprocessed source and compiled code across the network.  So the slave
nodes could just as well be using a cross-arch gcc/gas, no external
dependencies.

The main problem with distcc across architectures is the FUD
surrounding whether gcc-as-cross-compiler spits out the same code as
gcc-as-native-compiler.  The gcc team seem to be very hesitant to make
any guarantees about that, as it's not something they test much.
Without better information than guesswork, I'd say you might minimise
your chances of cross-gcc bugs by using a host with the same endianness
and bit width.