Re: Who could be able to help SW vendors to support Debian?

On Tue, Feb 01, 2005 at 11:01:25PM +0100, Francesco Paolo Lovergine wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 01, 2005 at 11:35:41AM -0800, Marc Singer wrote:
> > I've been under the impression that the only machine-level
> > incompatibilities are really kernel and driver issues and not issues
> > with Debian per se.
> >
> > Can you be a little more specific?
> >

> Currently for instance Matlab 6.5+ cannot be installed without a little
> hack in the installer, that's due to a known bug (or feature ?) in our
> sarge libc: it is not executable, like RH ones.

I don't get the last part of that.  'it is not executable'?

> Supporting a release involves also those aspects.

I think I'm getting the idea.  This is an interesting issue as it
ought to fall on the shoulders of the application vendor given that
their software has specific needs not readily addressable by the
distribution.  Is this one of those lbrary .so version number
incompatibilities?

Seems like we're in that gray zone between the distribution and the
end-user.  Software vendors aren't pulling their weight because many
believe that RH *is* Linux, wrong on so many levels.

Again, it seems like this is a place where someone ought to commit a
little cash to smooth over the wrinkles.  OEM hardware vendors already
do this to support MS.