Re: Who could be able to help SW vendors to support Debian?

On Tue, Feb 01, 2005 at 10:57:08PM +0100, Christian Perrier wrote:

> > > Would any people around have pointers which could be given to such
> > > people ? Do we already have an entry point for such technical issues
> > > as proprietary SW vendors needing technical information about the way
> > > to support Debian ?
> >
> > It isn't clear to me what sort of compatibility issues you would be
> > talking about.  Is this an x86 thing?  Or a release thing?
> >
> > I've been under the impression that the only machine-level
> > incompatibilities are really kernel and driver issues and not issues
> > with Debian per se.
>
> Well, I'm not the software vendor here..:-)
>
> As far as I've inderstood, this product induces some interaction at
> kernel-level and the vendor developers may have concerns about the
> kernel on the distribution they want to support their product on. They
> probably also have concerns about the library compatibility and such
> stuff.
>
> Again, I can't really speak for them, but I'd like to point them the
> right direction.

I don't like to pass the buck, yet I can't see a way that Debian, as
it is can support them directly.  Perhaps they ought to look to the
Debian consultant's list for someone to help.  No matter how the
problem is sliced, they're going to need to have someone on their side
who can track down issues.  This person may not be a kernel hacker,
but there is always a need to have someone who will work with folks on
the mailing lists who do.