Re: Linux Core Consortium

On Thu, 16 Dec 2004 12:51:54 -0800, Adam McKenna <adam@flounder.net> said:

> On Thu, Dec 16, 2004 at 09:25:38PM +0100, Wouter Verhelst wrote:
>> Op do, 16-12-2004 te 14:46 -0500, schreef Ian Murdock:
>> > We've heard directly from the biggest ISVs that nothing short of
>> > a common binary core will be viable from their point of view.
>>
>> Well, frankly, I don't care what they think is 'viable'.
>>
>> 'ISV' is just another name for 'Software Hoarder'. I thought Debian
>> was about Freedom, not about "how can we make the life of
>> proprietary software developers easy?"

> Regardless of how you feel about proprietary software, it is someone
> else's work and they are free to sell or license it as they see fit.

	Quite so. But I am in no way obligated to spend my time making
 it easier for them to do so in a proprietary fashion -- even if some
 users out there happen to like such software.

> I don't see how someone advocating "freedom" can in the same
> (virtual) breath presume to dictate what other people do with their
> work.

	My point exactly. Why should the free software  have to go out
 of its way to make things easier for them? (But .. our users luuv non
 free software only stretches so far).

	Perhaps I am missing the point there?

	manoj
--