Re: Linux Core Consortium

On Thu, 16 Dec 2004 12:45:15 -0800, Bruce Perens <bruce@perens.com> said:

> Wouter Verhelst wrote:

>> 'ISV' is just another name for 'Software Hoarder'.
>>

> Please keep in mind this portion of Debian's Social Contract:

>    /We will support our users who develop and run non-free software
>    on Debian /

	Right. We'll not do anything actively sabotaging running
 non-free software -- we probably shall even expend a modicum of
 effort to help them.  But there is a line, beyond which such effort
 is better spent on free software.

> One of the reasons for this is that you can get more people to
> appreciate Free Software if you can get it into their hands
> first. If they have no choice but to stick with RH and SuSE because
> they can't get their stuff supported elsewhere, they will never get
> our message.

	Right. So I am cautiously in favour  of giving LCC a shot --
 while bearing in mind that this is not a do or die effort. If it does
 not impact the users of free software, and it does not require major
 effort, we should see if LCC can be supported.

	manoj
--
She always believed in the old adage -- leave them while you're
looking good. Anita Loos, "Gentlemen Prefer Blondes"