Re: Intent to mass-file bugs: FDL/incorrect copyright files

On Thu, Nov 18, 2004 at 08:33:02AM +0100, Romain Francoise wrote:
> Brian Nelson <pyro@debian.org> writes:
>
> > AFAIK, ftp-masters only reject a package if inclusion and distribution
> > in Debian would be illegal.  This is not the case with the GFDL.
>
> > I think in a typical case, the decision is up to the package maintainer,
> > and if the maintainer doesn't agree, the tech committee may resolve this
> > issue.
>
> Really?  I thought the technical committee dealt with technical
> problems, not with licensing.

Read the constitution.  Clearly the CTTE may be used to resolve a
licensing dispute.

> > debian-legal is merely used for discussion, not for decision-making.
>
> So you are saying that if Joe Developer decides a license is free
> according to his understanding of the DFSG, in disagreement with a
> consensus formed on debian-legal, it's okay for him to upload the
> package unless the technical committee overrules him?

Yes, if the developer disagrees with the debian-legal consensus.  In my
estimation, the debian-legal regulars are *far* more conservative than
the general developer population, so there's no reason their consensus
should be accepted as the whole project's consensus.

Reading debian-legal usually feels like I'm watching a witch hunt, where
any license that is not GPL/BSD/MIT a potential witch.

--
For every sprinkle I find, I shall kill you!