Re: Intent to mass-file bugs: FDL/incorrect copyright files

Colin Watson <cjwatson@debian.org> writes:

> On Wed, Nov 17, 2004 at 06:49:21PM +0000, Brian M. Carlson wrote:
>> Bugs will be filed:
>>
>>  1) on packages that include GNU Free Documentation Licensed-material;
>
> I recommend not filing bugs on documentation until after sarge. The
> project agreed by vote that it was not to be considered release-critical
> for sarge, so, given that your bugs suggest some highly invasive
> solutions, why be unnecessarily disruptive now?

I disagree with this conclusion.  As to the fact that the bugs suggest
"highly invasive solutions", well, there really isn't a non-invasive
solution, as much as I would like one.

>> Two bugs will be filed on packages that meet criteria in both 1) and
>> 2).  If the release managers would like, I will be happy to auto-tag
>> the bugs in 1) sarge-ignore,
>
> If you insist on filing these bugs pre-sarge, yes, please do so.
>
>> but if you receive such a bug, this does not excuse you from fixing it
>> promptly.
>
> As a matter of fact it may do depending on the contextual circumstances.
> (For example, updates to frozen packages are difficult and therefore
> limited.)

This is of course understood.  But one could always upload to
unstable, AIUI.  I am trying to *improve* the quality of the
distribution, not decrease it.  The sentence was meant to stress to
certain maintainers (who shall remain nameless) that like to ignore
debian-legal or licensing issues that I would that pursue these bugs
as vigorously as any others and that I expected them to be fixed, time
and circumstances permitting.

>> Packages that are related to the following info files are *potential*
>> candidates (please note these files have been stripped of their
>> suffixes):
>
> The number of these that relate to frozen packages scares me. You are
> likely to create a good deal of work for the release management team.
> :-( In future, please perform such widespread audits *before* base
> system freezes, not *during* them.

Sorry, I found one package and then wondered how many other packages
fell into the same category.  Unfortunately, it turned out to be a
lot.

Here's what I'm going to do as a compromise; please note that I am
trying very hard to be reasonable: I will file bugs on those packages
with incorrect or incomplete copyright files that are not frozen
(priorities optional and extra) because these are release critical
according to release policy.  The remainder of the bugs will go onto a
web page to be announced (so that maintainers can check if their
packages are affected) and will be filed as soon as the release
happens.  I will ping debian-devel once more with a notice once sarge
is released; this way, noone can claim they weren't notified of the
mass-filing.  Is this okay?