Re: Ubuntu discussion at planet.debian.org

On Fri, 22 Oct 2004 14:48:01 +0200, Jérôme Marant <jmarant@nerim.net> said:

> Joey Hess <joeyh@debian.org> writes:
>>> However, if unstable would be frozen at the same time, would
>>> development stop?  Probably not.  I'm pretty sure that several
>>> would start with separate repositories and the like to make more
>>> recent versions of the software available which they maintain.
>>
>> When we used to freeze unstable before a release, one of the
>> problems was that many updates were blocked by that, and once the
>> freeze was over, unstable tended to become _very_ unstable, and
>> took months to get back into shape.

> What do you think we'd get by combining both (testing + unstable
> freeze)?

	If you freeze unstable anyway, you are blocking the updates --
 and thus have all the problems of this style of interrupted
 development. If unstable is frozen, what is the point of Testing?

	Am I missing something in your (somewhat nebulous) proposal?

	manoj
--
The new Linux anthem will be "He's an idiot, but he's ok", as
performed byMonthy Python.  You'd better start practicing. -- Linus