Re: Ubuntu discussion at planet.debian.org

On Fri, 22 Oct 2004 16:56:31 -0300, Otavio Salvador <otavio@debian.org> said:

jh> When we used to freeze unstable before a release, one of the
jh> problems was that many updates were blocked by that, and once the
jh> freeze was over, unstable tended to become _very_ unstable, and
jh> took months to get back into shape.

> Sure but not we have the experimental distribution to deal with it

	We've always had experimental. But consider this: experimental
 contains packages _known_ to be volatile, and nobody sane has
 experimental turned on for their boxes (most people cherry pick a
 package or two that they are interested in).  Secondly, buildd's do
 not work with experimental.

> while we are stabilizing the unstable and testing distribution. The
> current problem is experimental is not a full distribution and
> doesn't have buildd systems.

	That too. If packages don't get tested, you have indeed
 arrested development.

	manoj
--
Death before dishonor.  But neither before breakfast.