Re: Ubuntu discussion at planet.debian.org

>> What do you think we'd get by combining both (testing + unstable
>> freeze)?
>
> 	If you freeze unstable anyway, you are blocking the updates --
>  and thus have all the problems of this style of interrupted
>  development. If unstable is frozen, what is the point of Testing?

Testing scripts are a gatekeeper against mistakes from unstable.
Upload debian-specific changes to unstable doesn't necessarily mean
there won't be side effects that shall not enter testing.

> 	Am I missing something in your (somewhat nebulous) proposal?

Freezing unstable prevent people from uploading new upstream releases
which desynchronizes unstable from testing and forces people to
work with two distributions (and necessarily neglect one of them).

As soon as testing is strictly equal to unstable regarding package
versions, testing is roughly ready for release.

--
Jérôme Marant

http://marant.org