Re: Ubuntu discussion at planet.debian.org

>> I don't think so. Dinstall would reject any new upstream release.
>> Approvals would only apply to t-p-u just like it is done currently.
>
>         Umm. So no new debian native packages? Even though those are

Debian native packages are someway a special case.

>  the ones we can best control? Also, this is a half-hearted
>  solution. There is often a poor correlation between bugs and new
>  upstream releases (in other words, I have screwed up packages in the
>  past with my debian revision uploads far worse than any new upstream
>  version).

At least, stabilizing upstream releases would be an improvement, it
is called "feature freeze".
Of course, you can always find a way to screw new debian revision.

>         I still think you should look into testing-frozen and
>  candidate distributions, locking down testing-frozen, and working
>  towards improving candidate -- and that way, it is less intrusive,
>  we'll  not have to scrap the current mechanism, and we can compare
>  both methods all at the same time.

IIRC, Raphaël Hertzog already made such proposal in his DPL platform
two years ago. Are you refering to this? I recall he has been utterly
pissed of by the RM at that moment.

>         But that involves getting down, rolling up your sleeves, and
>  doing _work_ -- rather than convincing other people to do it your
>  way. The former is more likely to succeed.

Ack.

--
Jérôme Marant

http://marant.org