Re: Ubuntu discussion at planet.debian.org

On Fri, 22 Oct 2004 10:20:51 +0200, Jérôme Marant <jmarant@free.fr> said:

> Debian developers, on the contrary, run unstable and rarely run
> testing, which means that they don't really know about the shape of
> what they release.

	The reason I run unstable is because tat is where I upload
 to -- and that is where the shared libs are that my packages use, and
 that is where I work out the bugs experienced. However, testing does
 not seem to be too far off from unstable in the packages I use a
 lot.

> The Testing distribution helped a lot in release
> management, especially for synchronizing architectures.  Some
> improvements have already been proposed by Eduard Bloch and Adrian
> Bunk: freezing unstable while keeping testing.  Freezing unstable
> forces people to work on fixing bugs, and the quicker the bugs are
> fixed, the quicker the distribution is released and the quicker

	This is a fallacy.  In the past, when we did freeze unstable,
 it never forced me to do anything but twidle my thumbs for months
 until things got moving again. The reason that freezing unstable did
 not make me fix any more bugs, since the bugs were not in packages I
 was in any way an expert in.

	Freezes just used to be a frustrating, prolonged period in
 which I did no Debian work at all, waiting for unstable to thaw back
 out.

	manoj
--
"The geeks shall inherit the earth." Karl Lehenbauer