Re: Updating scanners and filters in Debian stable (3.1)

Martin Schulze <joey@infodrom.org> schrieb:

> Andreas Barth wrote:
>>
>> The difference is that backports.org does not do it as "releases" that
>> are stable than till the next release (except security updates), so that
>> you have the disadvantages of sid for the selected packages - and of
>> course, that there are no explicit security updates by the security
>> team.
>
> Parse error.

To me, the difference is that on backports.org, you can usually get
something that's quite near to sid, just compiled to run under stable,
whereas what we are thinking of is a repository that is only updated if
it is necessary, security-wise.

With usual backports, you get updates very often - just because the one
who prepared them likes the cool features of the next version, or
even because he semi-automatically builds every version that enters sid
or testing.

For stuff like mozilla, and even more for "scanners and filters", as we
still have in the subject, I wouldn't want that. I want to get new data
files (which can perhaps be done without updating the package), and I
want a new version of the package's executable only when it is really
necessary. And I'd like to have those new versions looked at by the
security team or something similar, not by a random developer whom I do
not know personally, who's setup, needs and circumstances I don't know
etc.

This does need a different infrastructure than stable provides, yes. And
in that sense those packages are not suitable for stable. But the wish
to have as much stability in them as possible is still valid. It's just
not the stability that current debian/stable provides.

Regards, Frank
Abt. Biophysikalische Chemie