Re: Updating scanners and filters in Debian stable (3.1)

Andrew Pollock wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 20, 2004 at 06:51:40PM +0200, Martin Schulze wrote:
> > Martin Michlmayr wrote:
> > > Updating a package always has the chance of breaking something.  Some
> > > security updates have broken someone's machines.  Is that a reason for
> > > stopping to make security updates?  No, of course not.  There is
> > > always a compromise between possibly breaking something and the gain
> > > users will get.  When a virus scanner is completely out of date, the
> > > gain of putting in a new and updated version is surely bigger than the
> > > possible breakage it may cause.
> >
> > You forgot that we usually can roll out a security update at any time.
> >
> > But we cannot roll out a stable update at any time.  Guess why there
> > haven't been a stable update for month_s_ now.  It's not that I'm not
> > working on it...
> >
> > In other words, if it breaks, it's likely to break for half a year or
> > a year or something - or forever.
>
> How does a stable update differ from just installing the security updates
> that that stable update consists of?

The security team can install packages in security.debian.org at any
time (if it's up and running).

Only the ftpmasters can install packages in ftp.debian.org.

A stable update may contain some important bugfixes as well, which are
not part of a security update.

> Or am I missing something?

You are.  We weren't taking about a security update.

Regards,

	Joey

--
In the beginning was the word, and the word was content-type: text/plain