Re: Updating scanners and filters in Debian stable (3.1)

Martin Michlmayr wrote:
> Updating a package always has the chance of breaking something.  Some
> security updates have broken someone's machines.  Is that a reason for
> stopping to make security updates?  No, of course not.  There is
> always a compromise between possibly breaking something and the gain
> users will get.  When a virus scanner is completely out of date, the
> gain of putting in a new and updated version is surely bigger than the
> possible breakage it may cause.

You forgot that we usually can roll out a security update at any time.

But we cannot roll out a stable update at any time.  Guess why there
haven't been a stable update for month_s_ now.  It's not that I'm not
working on it...

In other words, if it breaks, it's likely to break for half a year or
a year or something - or forever.

Regards,

	Joey