Re: Frank Carmickle and Marco Paganini must die

Adam McKenna [u] wrote on 26/09/2004 22:57:

On Sun, Sep 26, 2004 at 08:38:26PM +0200, Sven Mueller wrote:

Thomas Bushnell BSG [u] wrote on 24/09/2004 18:31:

Adam McKenna <adam@flounder.net> writes:

There are many ways for one to determine whether an IP address is dynamically
or statically assigned.  If you want to know more, do some research.  Read
NANOG-L or inet-access-L.  It's all outside the scope of this list.

Geez, you keep saying this.  Surely if there are many ways you could
give me just one?  I really do know, I really have done the research;
I've been using and programming IP for twenty years.  So this is, from
an expect, a put-up-or-shut-up demand.  If you know a single reliable
method, say it now.

In case anybody else would wonder:

Adam did _not_ mean anything like actual remote detection of wether an IP address was assigned by DHCP, but rather those DUL-(black)lists and/or certain name parts in the address's PTR record.

I never claimed that a person could do it with 100% accuracy, nor that a
program could do it.

I never claimed that you said anything like that either. Where did I say anything about 100% accuracy in my post?

> I also did *not* claim that using a DUL is one of the
ways I was speaking of, either.

You refered to Marco d'Itri's posts, which where speaking of exactly that: (citing Adam McKenna) "Marco d'Itri already answered that question on the list." (citing Marco d'Itri) "Very good ISPs report dynamic pools themselves to the DULs.Good ISPs mark dynamically-assigned addresses in the whois database or in the rDNS." Which was the only post of Marco coming close to explaining how to determine wether a given IP is assigned dynamically.

> Unless you're a complete fuckwit and didn't
read Marco d'Itri's posts, you would already know this.

I don't know who the fuckwit is, honestly. You deliberately chose to let the discussion become even more emotional by not rectifying the misunderstand/misinterpretation of your post by Thomas Bushnell. Since this kept coming back up, I chose to summarize what you said to me in private email.

If I got you wrong, tell us so, but there is no need to insult anyone.

Really, very smart (not) of him not to rectify this misunderstanding here on the list.

I don't remember asking you to post anything to this list on my behalf.  I
consider this to be extremely rude.  Please don't contact me again.

I wasn't posting on your behalf. If I did, I would have quoted your words from our private email correspondence, which would indeed be rude. All I tried to do is rectify that misunderstanding/misinterpretation of your post, to keep this thread from becoming even more emotional.

I might have made a mistake by my post, but you are acting quite childish refusing to say anything concrete and thereby rectify a misunderstanding (I don't think it was a deliberate misinterpretation as you do), which was sure to keep the thread alife, OT and quite emotional. Would you have explained you post once instead of repeatedly saying "read nanog-l" or "Marco d'Itri already explained that", all of this wouldn't have happened.

And I also find it quite interesting that you make it sound like my summary was wrong (and making you appear in a bad light) and yet Thomas Bushnell reports that the explanations he received via private email accurately matched my summary.

regards,
Sven