Re: Nice ideas about a bug tracking system

On Fri, Sep 10, 2004 at 08:22:41PM +1000, Matthew Palmer wrote:
> A GUI version of reportbug might be handy for those people who are
> frightened by monospace fonts, but the only people who would need a web
> interface would be people who don't have mail setup on their Debian
> machines.

I know a lot of people which uses mail only via webmail interfaces and I
can easily imagine that this kind of people would be more inclined to
submit bug reports with a web interface.  I tend to blame people aware
of bugs which don't report them thus I think we should ease as much as
possible the act of bug reporting, bug reports are vital feedback for
us.

If web-only people could not submit bug reports against debian packages
it's our fault, not their.

> The problem with a web interface is that people would be inclined to
> bloat the thing into a Bugzilla-like monstrosity, and probably put
> web-only features into the thing

This is a problem about _how_ the web interface is realized, not about
the idea of a web interface itself.

> and I *like* the ability to easily manipulate bugs via e-mail, dammit.

I like it too, is simply too handy to just add a "-done" replying to an
email in order to close a bug report rather than having to log into a
bugzilla monster.

But the web interface is not in contrast with the email interface.
Moreover from my POV the web inteface could even be set up only for
_submitting_ bug reports, not necessarily for manipulating them as well.

Cheers.