Re: Nice ideas about a bug tracking system

On Fri, Sep 10, 2004 at 11:03:09AM +0200, Stefano Zacchiroli wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 09, 2004 at 08:41:20PM -0400, Justin Pryzby wrote:
> > FogBUGZ                           | Debbugs
> >  . Makes it easy to enter bugs    | Makes it at least as easy; indeed,
> >                                   |   it's scriptable
>
> Sorry, I'm working offline and thus I can't directly look at FogBUGZ
> ATM, but I don't think debbugs makes "that easy" to submit bug reports.
> I mean: it's wonderful for me, reportbug is really a great program, but
> I think debbugs needs to be complemented with a web interface for
> submitting bug reports a la bugzilla (well, not that ugly/complicated :)

A GUI version of reportbug might be handy for those people who are
frightened by monospace fonts, but the only people who would need a web
interface would be people who don't have mail setup on their Debian
machines.  The problem with a web interface is that people would be inclined
to bloat the thing into a Bugzilla-like monstrosity, and probably put
web-only features into the thing -- and I *like* the ability to easily
manipulate bugs via e-mail, dammit.

- Matt