Re: Nice ideas about a bug tracking system

On Fri, Sep 10, 2004 at 01:59:35AM +0200, Enrico Zini wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I stumbled on this feature list for a bug tracking system and thought
> there are nice ideas and that is worth sharing here:
>
> 	http://www.fogcreek.com/FogBUGZ/WhyFogBUGZWorks.html

To summarize the page, with my responses,

FogBUGZ                           | Debbugs
 . Makes it easy to enter bugs    | Makes it at least as easy; indeed,
                                  |   it's scriptable
 . Lets you create inquiries      | Could use some help here
 . Tracks bugs and features       | Tracks bugs and features (aka
                                  |   wishlists)
 . Does not provide personal      | Does not provide personal
   performance metrics            |   performance metrics
 . Lets anyone edit any bug       | Lets anyone edit any bug
 . Can be introduced gradually    | Doesn't need to be:
                                  |  aptitude install debbugs
 . Brings your customers into the | Brings our customers into the loop
     loop

In short, that page is straight from the dept of marketing.  Debbugs
fares very well when compared on all of these points, with the posible
exception of 2: lets you create inquiries.

Ideally I would be able to do a full text query (regexp?) on *all* the
bugs.  I don't know if Debian will be able to provide this in the near
future.  I have my doubts about how well FogBUGZ's inquiries would scale
to 100000 bugs.

Justin