Re: Nice ideas about a bug tracking system

On Fri, Sep 10, 2004 at 01:59:11PM +0200, Stefano Zacchiroli wrote:
> If web-only people could not submit bug reports against debian packages
> it's our fault, not their.

Eh?  They can send an e-mail to submit@bugs.debian.org using hotmail.  I
don't think it's our fault if some users are mental vegetables.

(Yes, yes, be nice to the vegetables, the e-mail interface isn't as
"friendly" as a web GUI, and all the rest of it.  Write it if you want, but
the moment I have to fire up a web browser to manipulate bug reports is the
day I give up and go dairy farming).

> This is a problem about _how_ the web interface is realized, not about
> the idea of a web interface itself.

For some reason, though, webapps seem to accumulate cruft like a
kleptomaniac accumulates useless trinkets.  I don't know whether it's
because of the people writing them or the medium, but I've found way too
many webapps with a million poorly-written never-used "features".  Probably
also a limitation of the medium -- it's easier to hide rarely used options
in menus and whatnot in a regular GUI app.

> But the web interface is not in contrast with the email interface.
> Moreover from my POV the web inteface could even be set up only for
> _submitting_ bug reports, not necessarily for manipulating them as well.

Not for long.  The moment you give them a web interface, they'll be crawling
all over the thing wanting every feature and it's dog built in there.

- Matt