Re: The unofficial buildd effort and its shutdown - my POV

Ingo Juergensmann <ij@2004.bluespice.org> writes:

> Erm, running buildds and building doesn't make sense when you can't
> upload the packages afterwards. If people shout that they don't like our
> uploads, there's no need to explicitly tell us to stop the buildds.

I think the point that several of us are trying to make is that saying one
doesn't like the uploads is not equivalent to telling you to stop making
the uploads.  These sorts of discussions happen on free software mailing
lists all the time, and I've always found it better to wait for the
discussion to take its course and consider all the problems with the ideas
advocated in the discussion before actually acting on it.  There's
something of an intrinsic lifespan to this process, and acting too quickly
can result in failing to find the best solution.

People may not like binary uploads by someone who's not a DD, but they may
also not like *not* having those uploads.  Just because I don't like
something doesn't mean I necessarily want it to stop immediately; it's
more likely to mean that I want to find some better long-term solution
(but often am not interested in upsetting the apple-cart before that
solution is found).