Re: The unofficial buildd effort and its shutdown - my POV

On Mon, Sep 06, 2004 at 11:54:39AM -0700, Russ Allbery wrote:

> > Erm, running buildds and building doesn't make sense when you can't
> > upload the packages afterwards. If people shout that they don't like our
> > uploads, there's no need to explicitly tell us to stop the buildds.
> I think the point that several of us are trying to make is that saying one
> doesn't like the uploads is not equivalent to telling you to stop making
> the uploads.  These sorts of discussions happen on free software mailing
> lists all the time, and I've always found it better to wait for the
> discussion to take its course and consider all the problems with the ideas
> advocated in the discussion before actually acting on it.

That's basically what we're doing: we're doing nothing and wait until the
discussion comes up with a solution.

>  There's
> something of an intrinsic lifespan to this process, and acting too quickly
> can result in failing to find the best solution.

I doubt that some people are interested in any solution, but only in some
flamefests... :-/

> People may not like binary uploads by someone who's not a DD, but they may
> also not like *not* having those uploads.

So, then make a (quick) decision.

>  Just because I don't like
> something doesn't mean I necessarily want it to stop immediately; it's
> more likely to mean that I want to find some better long-term solution
> (but often am not interested in upsetting the apple-cart before that
> solution is found).

Well, sometimes you can't wait for a long term discussion to end. Imagine a
lawyer sueing you. Waiting and acting as before can mean a day by day
penalty on you.

--
Ciao...              //
      Ingo         \X/