Re: wishlist: spamhaus SBL+XBL on d.o accounts

On Mon, Aug 30, 2004 at 11:30:05PM +0300, Richard Braakman wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 30, 2004 at 10:30:24AM -0600, Joel Baker wrote:
> > It probably isn't in any of them. However, an informal survey of ten people
> > who happened to be nearby, when asked "Where would you expect to email a
> > Debian Developer about a Debian issue?", produced nine people who said
> > "debian.org", and one shrug.
>
> Where in debian.org?  To get the right address, you still have to
> look somewhere.  And if you look in the copyright file, the changelog,
> or the package metadata, you'll find the address that the maintainer
> provided.
>
> > Forget not our users - who are sometimes the sort to follow the obvious
> > path, rather than wanting to hunt all over creation. And I know that had I
> > phrased the question "Where would you expect to email the maintainer of <X>
> > package?" it might have been "the listed email for the package" - but that
> > isn't always how the question comes up.
>
> The maintainer of X package can be reached as x@packages.debian.org.
> That will also go to the address that the maintainer provided.

Or maybe you search on the name, since that's what you remember for some
reason (note: it's not what I'd do, but I've run into stranger), and find
the @d.o address. Or, more likely, you DO find the maintainer's info,
assume that that's not the primary contact for *Debian* issues, don't know
about p.d.o, and go hunting the same name for their @d.o (I've *seen* this
one happen).

Is it the end of the world? No. Merely inconvenient, which means that
people should strongly *consider* keeping their @d.o address in a state
that they can receive Debian related emails on it, even if their first
response has "I rarely read @d.o emails, please use <foo> instead for a
faster response" at the beginning.
--
Joel Baker <fenton@debian.org>                                        ,''`.
Debian GNU/kNetBSD(i386) porter                                      : :' :