Re: daily pestering about s390 and sparc buildd failure

Martin Schulze <joey@infodrom.org> writes:

> > Perhaps this is obvious to y'all, but in the absence of someone who
> > says "I volunteer to figure out why this is failing", I have to try
> > myself, and the seemingly obvious tools are escaping me.
>
> If you need some build dependencies installed, mail the admin,
> which is debian-admin@lists.debian.org for our hosts.  Dude, were
> you taken over by an alien recently or something?

This wouldn't have helped, which I knew, which is why I didn't pursue
it as a strategy.  If my crazy guess had been right, the problem was
that dependencies which were implied by debian/control weren't being
installed.  Asking to have something in this or that root doesn't help
if getting them into the sbuild environment is failing for some
bizarre cause.

My crazy guess was wrong, but my probe found the bug, because it
generated exact package lists of the different sbuild environments,
which was crucial to finding the bug--and again, asking to have this
or that package installed wouldn't help.

I never had any problem compiling the package on s390 or sparc--which
people never seemed to pay attention to--the question was why the
package didn't build in sbuild *even though all the necessary
dependencies were installed*, and did build elsewhere.