Re: wishlist: spamhaus SBL+XBL on d.o accounts

On Fri, Aug 27, 2004 at 01:01:38PM +0200, Santiago Vila wrote:
> On Fri, 27 Aug 2004, John Belmonte wrote:
>
> > Of the last 20 spam messages coming to my debian.org account, 10 would
> > have been blocked immediately at connection to the Debian mail server by
> > spamhaus SBL+XBL.  With this kind of percentage, surely the overhead of
> > checking that list would be more than made up for by the saved
> > processing, possible storage, and transmission of spam required of the
> > Mail server, not to mention the savings on the client end.
>
> Last time I checked, debian-admin was completely against the use of
> blocking lists, so to have any blocking list working on debian.org we
> would need a General Resolution.
>
> If anybody is going to propose that debian.org uses a DNSBL, please let it
> be cbl.abuseat.org. Its effectiveness and the remove-without-questions
> delistimg method should make it to be the less controversial DNSBL.
> If, and only if, most people agree on using this list, we can then
> consider using other lists in a later GR.
>
> I think concentrating on a single list like cbl.abuseat.org from which
> it is completely trivial to be delisted will simplify the discussions.

An nicer/cleaner solution would be to have a new setting in the LDAP
database and having that value checked when mail is delivered. People
could then choose between blacklists and greylisting and some header
checks for example.

I know this is doable with postfix; I've used some recipient specific
filters. I've heard some people say that exim could do that as well. If
indeed it is, we should definitly try this.

Sounds like something to do post-sarge when people have a little more
time on their hands.

Pasc
--
Pascal Hakim                                          0403 411 672
Do Not Bend