Re: ,deb's follow Packages files to mirrors: nuts or what?

Hello.

Marc Wilson:

> On Fri, Aug 27, 2004 at 11:41:26AM +0800, Dan Jacobson wrote:
> > Isn't it nuts that the Packages files get to the mirrors before the
> > .debs do?
>
> Not particularly.  I can see you think it's inconvenient for YOU.

It was inconvenient enough for me to settle on using ftp.debian.org
instead of the suggested ftp.pl.debian.org. I'm not sure this is
something we'd like to encourage, though.

> But then again, I'm sure you're one of those who'll just
> die if he can't download whatever he wants, instantly.

Nice.

> > If the user tries an apt-get during the daily update, he will often
> > get lots of errors, and conclude Debian is broken.
>
> Then he concludes that Debian is broken.  The world will hardly end if
> there's one less shouldn't-be-using-testing-or-unstable person out there.

This I agree with completely. That said, IMHO it's much more elegant and
pleasant if my daily cronjob of `apt-get update; apt-get dist-upgrade -d`
either works as advertised or doesn't download anything.

Cheers,
-- Shot (Piotr Szotkowski)
--
        That being done, all you have to do next is call free() slightly
      less often than malloc(). You may want to examine the Solaris system