Re: There, I think I got it

I've recently fixed a hard-to-track-down bug with the same underlying
problem: autoconf behaves differently when "xmkmf" is available.  I
didn't realise that depending on "x-dev" isn't sufficient to pull in
"xmkmf".  I only figured things out when a user was kind enough to
build the package and send me his "config.log" file.

It would be really REALLY nice if the buildd logs included this file
in the output.  Until that happens, I've taken to putting

  ./configure ...; cat config.log

in debian/rules.

-S